Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mommy Monday: Minnow's Magnificence

Warning! Extensive bragging again. Those that don't give a hoot about my baby, should read no further.
  • She's fast. Her tummy still touches the ground when she crawls, but that doesn't slow her down as she makes beelines for the objects that catch her eye. She'll also go up and over Daddy or I to get what she wants.
  • Sometimes she'll crawl into my lap. It's very heart-warming.
  • She's been fascinated by the Princess Pup's shiny food and water bowls, crawling to them whenever she gets a chance. So yesterday we got her a shiny mixing bowl of her very own.
  • She also likes to crawl to and then remove the ceramic caps that hide the bolts that anchor our toilets. This is less endearing, and we are trying to discourage her by hiding the caps under towels.
  • However, she's figured out object permanence, so this may not work.
  • In the last day or two, she's started to pull up on things, chiefly her dresser drawers and my legs. If I am lying on my side, she'll pull herself up to supported standing by crawling her hands up my legs. We're also having a hard time keeping her seated in the bathtub because there is a handrail that's perfect for her to grab.
  • On Thursday, she started blowing raspberries. Now whenever she is crawling around or banging on something and is particularly pleased, she makes the sounds. It's pretty funny.
  • She's also added consonants to her sounds, including her cries. Her wailing now sounds like "mmmmmaa, mmmmmmmum." I'm not sure whether to be flattered or not.
  • Minnow has become a champion napper at least at home. We are consistently getting a two hour morning nap and a one hour afternoon nap. On days when she gets up extra-early (6:30 or before), she'll often take a bonus one hour early morning nap. All of these naps are now in her crib, which is a big development for us.
  • She's also sleeping the first 2-3 hours of the night in her crib, but the past few nights she's been really resisting bedtime. She wants to nurse every few minutes during the bedtime routine and then gets frustrated when there's nothing there for her. (Gee, I wonder why.) But once I get her asleep, she's an angel.
  • The first two hours of the night are her best sleep. Which is good (I get to eat dinner and get her bottles ready for the next day), and bad (by the time I go to bed, the average sleep period is just about 1.5 hours, sometimes as little as 30 minutes).
  • We're slowly introducing more solid foods. Minnow now eats rice cereal, sweet potato, pears, bananas, avocados, prunes, and oatmeal. Next up? Maybe green beans. She loves the sweet potato and pears, but the rest of the foods are hit or miss. The timing is really tricky, because she can't be too full from milk or she can't be bothered with the solid food, she can't be too tired because she'll get cranky, and she can't be too hungry because then she's too impatient for the slow process of eating solids and would prefer to get her fast food from me.
  • This weekend we debuted oatmeal. This was our first homemade cereal for her, because we couldn't find any commercial infant oatmeal without soy or wheat. You are supposed to introduce only one food at a time, and soy and wheat aren't appropriate for another couple of months, so it was pretty frustating to see them as ingredients in the infant oatmeal. Fortunately, it wasn't all that hard to make on our own. We've got lots of oatmeal on hand, because...
  • In an effort to find out whether there's a dietary cause to our nightly Minnow's tummy aches/wakes and cries/sleepless mommy routine, I've eliminated all the common allergens from my diet, restricting me to homemade, single ingredient foods. When you get rid of dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, corn, peanuts, tree nuts, beef, chicken, shellfish, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, garlic, green pepper, tomato, citrus fruit, caffeine, chocolate, and alcohol, there's just not a lot out there in the world of commercially available prepared food that you can eat. In vending machines and convenience stores, I can have some, but definitely not all, varieties of potato chips, and that's it. On the upside, because my diet is so restricted right now, I'm paying a lot of attention to trying to eat balanced meals, and I've obviously eliminated a lot of fat, preservatives, etc. And it's not forever. Theoretically, as the last traces of these potential allergens leave my body over the course of a month, things should start to improve for Minnow. And once they do, I can test foods one at a time. Those that don't trigger a regression can safely be added back to my diet. I really long for dairy and wheat.
  • In the meantime, I feel pretty confident that soy is one of her allergies (she'll probably grow out of it). Last week she had some soy-based formula at daycare, and it definitely did not go over well digestively. Fish thinks it might have been the big serving of prunes she had one of those days, but I don't think a single serving of prunes on Tuesday could have caused the problems that started Monday night.

10 comments:

RJ said...

Hooray for Minnow. I really enjoy Mommy Monday posts.

Best of luck for next week.

Saoirse said...

Awww, Minnow sounds so cute. Good luck figuring out her allergies.

EcoGeoFemme said...

so, do you think the better napping/early night sleeping is due to the diet modifications?

Anonymous said...

I love your Monday Mommy posts. Yay Minnow!
Here's a pat on the back for sticking to an elimination diet. I did a much smaller scale elimination and yes, we have food sensitivities here too. I agree with you that is sounds like soy should be out. I know one serving of prunes over here wouldn't make a blip on the radar. Other foods though? Look out! I both hope you do find a solution and don't find any sensitivities. Can you have it both ways?

jo(e) said...

I love these posts -- it brings back such nice memories for me. She sounds so cute.

ScienceWoman said...

ecogeofemme - I think the better napping/early evening is due to a better routine and the fact that she burps after nursing, so there isn't a gas nucleus (wrong science term I know) to start with. Later night she nurses to sleep, and I can't for the life of me get her to burp. Simethicone (anti-gas) drops don't really seem to help either.

anonymous - yes, I would to have it both ways. But the only way I can see that happening is if she suddenly decided that she didn't need to eat at night at all.

EcoGeoFemme said...

Maybe it's a developmental thing and she'll get better at burping. Then maybe you'll get lucky and it won't be much of a food allergy (at least in the long run).

It's very cool how these posts document your family's progress over time. People always say that it gets easier as a baby grows. To an outsider, your posts provide evidence for that, although I bet it doesn't always feel that way to you. You seem to be doing a great job!

PhD Mom said...

I can also relate to the common allergen problem. My daughter reacted strongly to dairy, which is also hard to isolate from food. Best of luck! She sounds like she's doing great!

adsense tips said...

Science Updates
Web Business
Google Adwords Ads
Greeting Cards
Home Based Business
Niche Collection
Love sms
Bollywood
SEO Search Engine Optimisation
Hiv-Aids Awareness
Adsense Tips

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa