Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The anti-climatic 500th blog post

I've been putting off posting lately, hoping to have some good job news to share in this, my 500th post. It seemed like a great narrative arc that in 500 posts (just under 2 years), I have gone from frustrated grad student struggling with conception to a successful post-doc mom on her way to a great tenure track position. Alas, it is not so.

But it also is not not so. I still haven't heard anything from the university in question. I'm surprised for 3 reasons: 1) I was the last candidate to interview; 2) They seemed in a hurry to get an offer out there; and 3) They promised to notify the unsuccessful candidates at the same time they made an offer to the successful one. So I'm left to ponder the hold-up. Did they renege on their promise to tell us unsuccessful ones in a timely fashion? Did something get hung up (in the dean's office?) and then everyone went on spring break? I'm hoping for the latter, but suspecting it is the former.

Going on the assumption that I didn't get the job, over the next couple of weeks and months, I'll be ramping up my applications for post-doctoral spots, government jobs, and eventually, even those in private industry. I run out of money in my current position sometime this fall, so I really should have at least a stop-gap measure in place by then.

The crappiest part of this is that I am really happy here in Utopia - I like the town, I like the people I work with, I like what I do. If money didn't make the world go 'round, I'd stay right here indefinitely - working part-time off soft money as it could be found and maybe doing some science writing. But that won't really work because the money is too inconsistent and someone's got to put food on the table. For reasons I won't go into here, but can largely be found in the previous 499 posts, I'm the bread-winner in this household.

And right now, I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job of winning the bread.

But, hey, this afternoon minnow and I have a playdate with Ecobaby and Earthmama and that is something to look forward to. Seriously, at least I'm not a new mom with a crappy PhD advisor and a husband who is about to finish his degree and become unemployed.

4 comments:

Amelie said...

I'm sorry to see you so unhappy. Best of luck for the job search, and enjoy the playdate, and the time with your little one!

Julianne said...

My guess is that they offered it to someone else, but would offer it to you if the first person doesn't turn it down. Having seen this from the other side, you often have a number of terrific applicants that you'd love to hire. You offer it to one of them, but they turn you down to go elsewhere. Then, you offer it to another person, and so on. This process can take a while, so if you haven't been turned down, all is not lost. It's also OK to ask the chair of the search about the timescales over which they might be making decisions.

Jenn said...

I was just going to say what julianne said... in my former department they interviewed about 7 people for a new position and the first 3 or 4 at least turned them down for other offers so they went through their list, but each round of offers can take a few weeks. I wouldn't lose hope yet. Most likely they're just waiting to hear back from someone. No news is sometimes good news!
Hope your playdate was fun!

Sylvia allein in Westfalen said...

I keep my fingers crossed that you will hear from the university soon. I had a job interview in January and I am waiting for 7 weeks now ... they wanted to make a decision within 1 or two weeks...
I agree with jenn: no news can be good news. ;)