Wednesday, February 14, 2007

RBO Motherhood, etc.

  • Thanks for your comments on my last post. I think I've hit on an idea for framing the PhD work together with an ending on current and future research directions.
  • As you may have guessed, I have an interview at some point in the future. I don't really want to talk about because I don't want to jinx it - this'll probably be my only interview this year.
  • Minnow had her 2 week Dr's appointment yesterday. She's now 8 lbs 4 oz - more than a pound over her birth weight.
  • They did a heel prick to test for PKU, etc - this involves pricking the heel and then squeezing out drops of blood to fill five circles on special paper. They did one at the hospital too, but I wasn't with her for that. So I had no idea how traumatic this was going to be for either Minnow or I. After we got home, we both collapsed on the couch for a couple of hours.
  • Don't put your baby in a footed sleeper for their two week Dr appointment - they'll just end up being naked and cold for longer than necessary (due to the heel prick).
  • Fish went back to work yesterday, but ScienceGrandma came over for the morning and early afternoon, so today will be my first day all alone with her. Fortunately, I got a pretty good night's sleep (relative to some other nights of late).
  • Minnow hates her sling - or I simply can't figure out how to use it right. In either case, I am going to give up on it until we can get some outside expertise. So much for ever having 2 hands again (except when she's sleeping with her daddy, like right now).
  • Given the paucity of two-hands time, I'd better get back to work on the talk...and finish my breakfast...and get a shower...

9 comments:

Holly said...

My SIL just had a baby and just got a sling for her. "The first time I put her in it she was NOT happy but now she really grooves on it!" she says. You should totally ask her how she got her to come around: mamamoonpie@blogspot

K said...

Z and I could never really figure out the sling either. She would sleep in it every once in a while once she was ~2 months old and she could be upright. Now that she's almost 8 months I rarely use it because it seems very uncomfortable for her. She likes to have more freedom I think. It's just in her personality. At first I was super bummed and I thought we must be sub-par because we couldn't figure out how to make the sling work. But I really think it just wasn't for us. Continuing good luck with your little minnow.

Writer Chica said...

more than a pound over her birth weight! Wow! she really is a good eater!

L_Ell said...

Wow, I just found your blog. I'm also a post-doctoral researcher in the natural sciences, doing field, laboratory, and modeling experiments. I'm also a woman who is planning on having children, and reading your experiences has been amazing. Thank you - I'll be checking back.

-Sarah

Dr J. said...

A belated congratulations on Minnow´s birth! I´ve dropped out of the blog world for a bit...but I´m glad to see everything has gone so well for all of you!

PhD Mom said...

My kids hated the sling too, but loved the baby bjorn. It is pricey $90 two yrs ago, but well worth it. It holds the baby upright with direct chest cuddling, and you get two hands free. When the baby is older they can be hold only at the waist and have their upperbody free to move and grab things. I can't tell you how many errands we ran with that thing. In addition it is great for art museums, or any musuem for that matter. Much easier to manuever than a stroller.

SciMom said...

I second PhD mom. My little one was thrilled to be close by in the Baby Bjorn and when a little older, chose facing away from me as the favorite position (I tried not to be offended!). Still, you will become exceptionally skilled at doing things with one hand. I wish you many happy moments with your new little bundle.

Dr. Mon said...

More belated congrats on the birth of little Minnow--she is so precious!!

逐日 said...

more than a pound over her birth weight! Wow! she really is a good eater! You should totally ask her how she got her to come