Wednesday, January 03, 2007

While you were out...(women in science)

While many people went on holiday over the past two weeks, a few people kept their regular blogging habits going strong. So I thought I'd share a few of my favorite women in science posts from the past few weeks, for those of you that might have had too much eggnog or champagne to catch them the first time around.

The inkling has a nice Q&A with Ursula Franklin, a metallurgist and Canada's first female professor. She sounds like a pretty cool woman: "Q: People have described you as a radical. Do you agree? A: I hope so. I think a radical means one can look and think without being prejudiced by existing structures, and remove what is unnecessary or atrophied."

Lab Lemming follows up on a series of posts about the difficulties of searching for publications by women who changed their names when they got married. This time he rats out Google scholar.

JF, over at A Natural Scientist (a great newish blog) shares modern fairy tales of misogony and good ole boys at work, relating the story of two faculty on the tenure path in her department. I'd share a highlight here, but the whole post is too good to pass up.

Lady Monchhichi continues to enlighten us on our scientific foremothers. This time she teaches us about Merit Ptah, an ancient Egyptian physician.

Dr. Shellie confesses about the boys who intimidated her in high school and college science classes: "When I went to college, my father warned me not to go to MIT, because the boys from Bronx Science would be way ahead of me."

FairerScience alerts us to an interesting essay about how girls are disempowered as technology users, and a commenter seeks volunteers to help wikipedia with their "women, girls, and technology" article.

And going out on a good note, Brazen Hussy tells us about the first six months of her post-doc. "I love my job. I am ridiculously happy here."

Welcome to 2007! May the women in science stories get happier, the job market become more fair, and each of us advance in the ways we personally and professionally desire and deserve.


Twirly said...

Thanks for the links...I'm excited to explore some new science blogs I hadn't taken a look at before!!

Addy N. said...

I was quite prolific over the holidays, myself! I blogged about being a married woman in academia and grade inflation!

ScienceWoman said...

Twirly - glad you liked the links.

Addy n. - I'm heading over to read your posts right now.

JF, scientist said...

Thanks, Sciencewoman! Lots of exciting reading.

Also, late congrats and lots of chocolate and champagne on getting your pape submitted!

snakechaser said...

Thanks for the links. I am really enjoying reading about other female scientists. Have you seen the page by FemaleCSGradStudent ( I think you might like it.

RJ said...

Re Lab Lemming's post:

A curiosity - Changing surnames isn't only something women do.
Thanks once more for your blogging, and good luck with Mini.

Here's a curiosity. In the English Aristocracy, someone born ,for example, John Spencer-Churchill can become Lord Sunderland when his Grandfather dies, and the Duke of Marlborough when his father does.

His surname (e.g. at a British public school) would go from "Spencer Churchill" to Sunderland" to "Marlborough"

Similarly, Prince Edward was Edward Windsor, then Edward Wessex, and when his father dies will be Edward Edinburgh.

And the Archbishop of Canterbury takes on the name of his see, so in the hotel register he would sign "Canterbury" rather than "Williams", in theory at least.

I don't know how they manage on their passports, but suspect that they aren't very academically inclined.....with the possible exception of the latter.

And it's not cool to use a title in any case so they would probably use their underlying surname in publications.

ScienceWoman said...

rj - very very interesting.

sexy said...



A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX





Anonymous said...