Friday, December 22, 2006

Non-holiday baking


These aren't at all Christmas-y but I made them last weekend and really enjoyed them. Plus, they're reasonably healthy. So I thought I share the recipe here - consider it an early New Years Resolution gift.

Banana Oatmeal Muffins
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup oats
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
3 medium mashed bananas (~1 cup)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup milk
Mix the dry ingredients together and make a well in the center. In a small bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Mix the applesauce, bananas, and milk into the eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the well of the dry ingredients and stir just to moisten (it will be lumpy). Fill greased or lined muffin tins ~3/4 full. Bake at 400F for 20-25 min.
My note: These would be good with some crushed pecans or walnuts in them to give them some crunch.
Recipe source: Lois Gaudette in "Fruit of the Spirit"

5 comments:

Writer Chica said...

yummy. I have a great flax- chocolate chip-pumpkin bread recipe I be you would like.

Merry Christmas! Our home phone is screwy. If I get a chance I'll call you with my cell phone soon.

Sicilian said...

MMMMMMMMMMMm. . . I will try those. . . got a muffin kid home from college.
Ciao

Sara said...

those sound really good! i want to try them, but my brain is apparently very confused at the moment, why are oats listed twice? is it just 1.5 cups of oats total?

ScienceWoman said...

Sara - good eye. It's just 1 cup oats. The second one just got stuck in there by mistake.

Sara said...

ah ha, thanks!

ive been reading your archives and enjoying your blog (as well as some of the blogs you link to). It seems like a really neat "community", I've mostly been reading/linking other expat blogs so far, it will be fun to check out the female scientist blogging world.