Friday, September 22, 2006

Dr. ScienceWoman

Yes, I passed and I have been enjoying the past day or so just doing some relaxing, hanging out with my mom, and some baby gear shopping. Grandma bought one of these baby carriers with a cranberry outside and an insects interior (so cute) for Mini and her parents. We are also looking at rocking chairs some more today.

Now that the important stuff is out of the way...here's how the defense went down. It was at 8 am to facilitate the participation of a trans-atlantic committee member. He called in ~7:30 and got on speakerphone. The camera crew showed up and got the lighting set up and me wired with a mic (I am so not kidding) and the caterers showed up with bagels and coffee. The room filled up with people, we pulled out more chairs, more people showed up. Finally, my husband and mom made it (mom got lost in the building). More people showed up and started leaning against the walls. About 8:10 my advisor and I met at the front of the room and decided to get started. I sensed that someone important was missing, did a quick head count of my committee members, and discovered that my co-advisor was nowhere to be found. We called his cell phone, his office phone, his home phone, his wife's cell phone...then the departmental secretary to find out what the protocol was. She needed to call the grad school to find out. In the meantime, the rest of my committee members decided to go ahead and have me start, since there was no way to reschedule. I started my talk about 8:25, co-advisor showed up about 8:40, my talk went to 9:05 - I answered a bunch of good questions from the audience. We shooed out the audience (40+ people) and camera crew. Co-advisor's wife showed up with flowers to apologize (he had written the time down wrong). Then my committee and I gathered around a conference table and they asked me questions for the next 2.5 hours. (which seemed rather unnessecarily long) Most of the questions were reasonable - either expected based on themes from my prelims or the special interests of the committee members - but that doesn't mean they were all easy to answer. Towards the end, my co-advisor asked a particularly ridiculous question and I got a little punchy - just answering "I don't know." 2.5 hours earlier I might have tried to come up with answer but by this point I was hungry (almost noon) and tired. Fortunately, questioning concluded with my advisor asking me to read aloud from the introduction of my dissertation. Turns out I had made a rather Freudian slip in my writing, substituting "seduction" for a word rather more appropriate to my field. So questioning ended in laughter all around, they sent me out to my anxious mom and friend S. 10 minutes later my advisor came out, congratulated me, etc.

I have some revisions to do. Some of them are going to require some substantial work (lit review) and not mere typographical error correction. But they've given me an incentive to do it, because my advisor and co-advsior want to nominate to my dissertation for a national award. But I kind of wish it was all over.

And it is for the next few days. Mom and I are hanging out in town today - clothes to wash, applesauce to bake, etc. And then tomorrow we are heading to eastern Oregon to go fossil hunting.

I'll be back on-line more regularly starting next Wednesday. I'll probably never catch up on bloglines, so I hope you all are having a good week, and thanks for all your thoughts going my direction.

36 comments:

tia is a chemist said...

congratulations on passing your defense!

post-doc said...

I'm so pleased for you! It sounds rather grueling as defenses go - you appear to be famous! - but congratulations! Good luck on the revisions and the national award, Doctor. :)

turtlebella said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Dr. ScienceWoman!!!! Greuling defenses, urgh. It seems to me that defenses have gotten more difficult over the years, like they used to be rubber-stamp kind of things and now they are more difficult. But you got through it- sounds like with flying colors, even with clueless co-advisors and all, given that they want to nominate you for an award. That's great!

Enjoy your days off; Mini's carrier looks super cool.

Astroprof said...

Yeah!!!!!!
Congrats!!!

Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Doctor!

Jane said...

Woo hoo!!! Congratulations, Doctor!!

trish said...

congrats! I hope you get a chance now to relax and enjoy yourself ... at least for a couple days.

And I think some profs feel like they have to ask tough questions - regardless of the quality of the thesis. But now it's done and the good part is that you'll never have to do it again!

mirabel said...

Congratulations!!

ceresina said...

Congratulations!!
(Cameras? lights? mic? Now, of course, I'm even more curious about who you are/what you do!!)

RageyOne said...

Oh, congrats to you! Dr. Scienewoman!

phd me said...

Yeah!! Congrats to you, Dr. Sciencewoman. I can't believe how much of a production your defense was, though: caterers, lights, microphones, audience members. Good grief!

AAYOR said...

Congratulations!

AAYOR said...

Wait... did you say "Mini and HER parents"??

Did you find out the sex of your baby after all? Did I miss something?

Saoirse said...

Dr. Sciencewoman, you are such an inspiration. :)

Congratulations.

Writer Chica said...

Wow! A camera crew?! Were you expecting that?

Good luck on the national award.

Happy fossil hunting!

Dr. Shellie said...

Fantastic. I'm glad it went well and that you had a big audience!

DancingFish said...

Congrats!

Dr J. said...

Congratulations!

liketothelark said...

Great news! Congratulations, and good luck for the tidying up of the old phase and beginning of the new

Prof. Me said...

Congratulations on the successful defense!

(What a bizarre setup, though -- a camera crew and caterers? The natural sciences really ARE different from the social sciences!)

Anonymous said...

Dr. Science Woman - woooo hoooo! You had a camera crew? Anyway, congratulations, enjoy the well earned rest and dont sweat the corrections (I had a chapter rewrite).

skookumchick said...

Wahoo, congratulations! Yayayayayayay! Glad the hitches were nothing too major, that it all worked out in the end. Brava!

B said...

Congrats Dr.! And enjoy your time off w/ your mom :)

Luria Bertani said...

Congratulations! And thank you for sharing your story.

Rose Connors said...

Super ultra congratulations. Exciting stuff!

The Muser said...

Much congratulations, Doctor! hope you enjoy your trip to Oregon :).

MissPrism said...

Congratulations, Doctor!

EthidiumBromide said...

Congratulations, Dr! Your success is an inspiration to those of us with years still left to go before we are able to defend!

Dr. Mon said...

Many many congrats to you Dr. ScienceWOMAN!! You are the WOMAN!!

~profgrrrrl~ said...

Congratulations!!

pierdolapaciencia said...

Felicidades!!

Congratulations Dr. Science Woman!! All the best! You did good girl, and with a baby in its way! I read your articles, however not as often as I'd like to. I like your site and I project my following year as a master in marketing student in Japan pretty much like yours. Being a master student in Japanese language, and a business woman of the future.

Today I got my marks and apparently (as per the comment of other people) they were very good. My best marks are from the English lectures (90 and 95), and my lowest grade is 70, then 80 and 85. It was worth the sacrifice! I'm now thrilled about the semester starting next Monday.

Later in the evening, the Director of General Affairs of the Faculty of Economics called me to invite me to a party for graduates to be held in 3 weeks time. There will only be 15 people invited within professors, graduates, master students and foreign students. If I didn't misunderstood him, apparently my grades had something to do with this invitation... I'll ask him again, casuse I couldn't understand over the phone.

You go for the National Prize girl! and enjoy hanging out with your mom :)

my best wishes,

cecilia f.

yami mcmoots said...

Wooooo! Congrats!

pam said...

Congrats Dr. Sciencewoman!!! WOOHOO!!

Shrilatha Puthi said...

congrats dr. sciencewoman :-) u truly rock!!

trillwing said...

Yay! Congratulations!