Tuesday, September 05, 2006

dissertation's in; what's next?

A while back, Writer Chica inquired whether I would be able to take any time off after my dissertation was finished. My thoughts on this have gone back and forth. Back in July, these two weeks between diss and defense seemed like this wide open territory for me - maybe I could even take a vacation. Last week, it seemed like I would be just as loaded down and stressed after turning in the diss, as before. Now, I am not so sure.

It is a tremendous relief to have a pdf put together, emailed to my committee, and forms handed in to the graduate school. I have taken today at a much lazier pace than any time in the past two weeks (months?). But there are still plenty of things that need to be done in the next few weeks.

This afternoon I'll finish photocopying the diss for the committee and making a binder of it (and previous drafts) for myself. I'm going to update my belly blog for the first time in weeks and maybe clean out the backlog of "to blog" links on bloglines. Maybe I'll also get around to catching up my endnote libraries. Maybe not.

On Thursday, I am getting a massage and pedicure (yay!) and on Friday, we've got the "big" ultrasound, where we won't be finding out the baby's sex, but we will get to count appendages, etc. On Sunday, we'll try to make it to the local renaissance festival (although it usually gets rained out). Next Tuesday, a collaborator/friend is visiting from out of town, and on Wednesday I've got an OB appointment. Thursday is our anniversary. The following Monday my mom arrives in the evening, and Tuesday I've got a meeting in Neighboring University Town (NUT!) all morning. Wednesday is the defense.

In terms of work, I've obviously got to write the defense talk and review some materials from papers (mostly) and classes. I've got to get my undergrad out in the field to maintain our field installations. I've got to write a talk for the week after my defense for a conference my funders are hosting. I'd like to get another paper submitted, but the current hold up is with a co-author not me. I'd really like to get some more feedback from my advisors on Chapter 4 - since neither of them have seen anything that remotely resembles the current paper. And I've got a new filing cabinet that I'd like to move into.

So life will return to having its usual mixture of pleasure and mundane. That's the thing about all this, isn't it? No matter what: life goes on.

14 comments:

Holly said...

Congratulations! You are such an inspiration!

Dr J. said...

Congrats on submitting!

Dr. Mon said...

Congrats on your submission!!! Enjoy your pamper day!!

Rose Connors said...

You're getting so close! How exciting!

Sicilian said...

Science gal. . . you are doing a great job. When you see the hands and feet and the little lump inside of you. . . your heart will melt. . . it doesn't really set in until you see that ultrasound. . . you will tear up. . . and probably business man will too.

Ciao

DancingFish said...

Congrats!

Writer Chica said...

I tried leaving a comment earlier, but something got messed up.

Yay for getting it submitted!

Enjoy your massage and pedicure. Post a picture of your pretty toesies, if you get a chance!

Have fun moving into the new file cabinet. I always find it fun to see things get organized in a new place.

Jane said...

Woo hoo!!! Congrats and hang in there---and be sure to schedule some major pampering/down time for when the defense is done.

AAYOR said...

You wont be finding out the sex on purpose, or it is too soon?

Also.. congrats on getting it in!

(You can see where my head is at these days!)

ScienceWoman said...

to everyone: thanks for the congrats. They mean a lot. I'll look forward to another round when I've actually defended.

writer chica - yes, I'll post a pedicure picture. Perfectly frivolous use of internet bandwidth. Perfect for my mood.

aayor - we don't want to know. I'll be 20 weeks which is when people usually find out. Did you find out with bug?

RageyOne said...

Congrats on reaching this stage! The defense will be here in no time!

Propter doc said...

I'm a bit late with this but CONGRATULATIONS! on submitting.

AAYOR said...

We did find out with Bug. I think that it was primarily because we were having such a hard time with names... this helped eliminate half of the decision! I also figured that it was a "surprise" either way, and I like my surprises NOW rather than later. ;-)

Doris Davis said...

Well, after a tedious dissertation writing, it would be good to get out and catch up on things that you lag behind because of dissertation writing. But, it would be a better idea to have a break while writing. That way, you can still have time for other things you want to do and still have time to work on your dissertation.