Thursday, September 28, 2006

beginning the transition

Today is my first day back in the office since I defended. My mom and I had a wonderful trip, and then yesterday I gave an invited talk in NUT (neighboring university town). Today, though, I am at my computer making some progress on my revisions.

So what's changed in the past week?
  • I've gotten a bit tired of my mom calling me "Dr. Sciencewoman." Damnit, I'm just sciencewoman, same as I've always been.
  • At my talk yesterday I got to introduce myself as a post-doctoral researcher who did her PhD work on the subject at hand. Note the past tense.
  • Just now, a senior researcher stopped by my office to chat about some topics related to my research and a question he asked at my defense. But it wasn't a "you should do this" sort of chat, just very collegial.
  • As I listened to talks about my field area yesterday, I thought they were interesting but I didn't feel the need to passionately memorize every detail for future recall. I can already feel myself growing more detached from the place and the topic.
  • I got asked to be an invited speaker for a forum in April, and I honestly don't know which topic they want me to talk about. Also, my name was suggested by someone who works in a distantly related field but with whom I have enjoyed several river trips. I guess that's the power of networking.
  • I feel differently about the work that remains to be done on my diss. Not as if it were a crushing weight of impending doom but rather some minor annoyances - like a fly buzzing around my head. This is a definite improvement over a month ago.
  • But most of all, I'm looking forward to turning in my dissertation next week and then being able to more fully make the transition to the post-PhD life... being able to reorganize my desk and filing system, being able to take some projects off the back burner, without feeling the pressure of impending deadlines.
I think it's going to take a fair bit of time to complete the physical, mental, and emotional transition from pre-doc to post-doc. Maybe it'll be harder because I am not physically moving anywhere, but maybe it'll be easier because my life will be changing completely in 4 months. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

3 comments:

rose connors said...

Well, I can say one thing for sure. "Doctor Sciencewoman" is starting to sound much more relaxed than we've seen her in a while. Glad you're back.

Writer Chica said...

You do sound quite refreshed.

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.