Monday, August 28, 2006

Number memes

I missed the 2s and 4s meme a few weeks ago, and I know have I done memes featuring other numbers, but Dr. J tagged me to do this 3 meme. Plus, it comes at a perfect time. I am at that point in the day when I don't want to start revising the next section of my paper, yet I can't quite justify going home since BusinessMan is still at work for a few more minutes. So here goes.


1. Three things that scare me:
snakes (for as long as I can remember)
crocodiles (only since my trip to Kakadu)
the takeover of America by the extreme religious right or Islamic jihadists (both of which seem to spell the end of women's liberties)

2. Three people that make me laugh:
Annie at Mamapants
Garrison Keilor on Prairie Home Companion - he just gets the midwestern culture so right
Bill Watterson through Calvin and Hobbes

3. Three things I hate the most:
(hate's a strong word)
wars and the agressive political actions that lead to them
dealing with medical insurance
feeling inadequate

4. Three things I don't understand:
why the American public seems to think that one cannot reconcile evolution and religion
why growth is necessary for a healthy economy (despite my A in macro-econ)
people who leave their curtains closed all the time (this includes you, BusinessMan)

5. Three things I'm doing right now:
listening to Pandora
snacking on peanut butter crackers
avoiding work but stressing about it not getting done

6. Three things I want to do before I die:
raft the grand canyon
go to Antarctica
watch my child(ren) grow up

7. Three things I can do:
complete my PhD (just watch me!)
get pregnant
spoil my dog

8. Three ways to describe my personality:
(those who know me, please help!)
warm
self-centered
emotional

9. Three things I can't do:
roll my R's
roll a kayak
blow bubbles with gum

10. Three things I think you should listen to:
Pandora
classical music (really, give it a try)
your heart

11. Three things you should never listen to:
(never? that's a strong word, again)
discriminatory talk
bad advice
anyone standing on their head (I dunno, just making this up)

12. Three things I'd like to learn:
how to roll a kayak
how to cook Indian food
how maintain a clean house in less than 10 minutes a day despite the best efforts of your husband, pets, or kids

13. Three favourite foods:
ice cream
broccoli
mac 'n cheese

14. Three beverages I drink regularly:
water
milk
(actually, that's about it these days, but before I was pg, I drank a lot of tea)

15. Three shows I watched as a kid:
Scooby-Doo
Reading Rainbow
Knight Rider

16. Three people I'm tagging (to do this):
writer chica
propter doc
you

12 comments:

Writer Chica said...

describe ScienceWoman's personality:

kind, generous, insightful, thoughtful, funny, encouraging, helpful, respectful, worldly, dependable, trustworthy

A great friend.

Chief Scientist said...

Sciencewoman, I can't add much to this except #4 -

On the science/evolution thing, you can't really blame the public ... I think we in science have drawn that line in the sand. Read scienceblogs.com and tell me where anyone writing about evolution is respectful about religions.

Fewer Americans believe in evolution than most of the civilized world because Americans ( culturally and historically ) are suspicious of 'experts' - people joke about things that experts say are bad for them today but five years from now will turn out to be good. Biologists also tend to exempt evolution from the standards of other sciences by saying things like 'you don't need proof' without explaining what that means in concise language.

Oh, and growth is necessary for a healthy economy unless everyone agrees to keep the standard of living they have right now. This may be fine for the middle class but poor people and immigrants would like to think they have a chance to improve. Either it becomes a zero-sum game with runaway inflation and deflation ( like a gold standard ) or you have an expanding economy where different segments are expanding at different times.

I am not a curtain guy. We have blinds and Lady Scientist dictates when they will be open and how far.

Anonymous said...

As a finishing my PhD present, my husband and I took a rafting trip through the Grand Canyon. Because of a 2 year waiting list, I finished my PhD in Dec 2004 and just went on the trip in July 2006. But it was spectacular!!! I highly recommend it! Canyon Explorations and Expeditions was a great company.

snafu said...

Pandora is a great music site! Glad to hear someone else likes it too!

ceresina said...

I love the idea of not listening to anyone standing on their head.
I will have to go try Pandora now. :-)

Rose Connors said...

I liked doing this thoughtful meme.

ScienceWoman said...

writer chica - thanks for your kind words.

chief scientist - (1) just because a viewpoint isn't expressed at scienceblogs.com doesn't mean that you can generalize to all scientists or even all science bloggers. (2) but you can improve the standard of living of the poor without growing the economy - the super-rich just have to down size - isn't that how philanthropy works on a limited scale?

anonymous - I want your graduation present. Fortunately, I have an "in" so that maybe one of these years I'll get to do it for free. (crossing my fingers)

snafu and pandora - pandora rocks. Apparently, I like subtle vocal harmonies and mild rhythmic syncopation. But not unintelligible percussion or overwhelming percussion.

Rose - I'm glad you enjoyed the meme. Memes like this are fun because they can be taken as seriously or as silly-ily as you want.

Dr J. said...

I have to say that I often leave my curtains closed (especially in the bedroom). But that´s because I live in an environment where 30 flats can see in my windows and that just freaks me out a little....

Holly said...

I'm really a nocturnal creature stuck with diurnal primate eyes. Bright lights hurt so I tend to keep the place dark.

Chief Scientist said...

Sciencegirl, I suppose it's unfair to generalize all scientists but we have to think about what the public can access easily. If scienceblogs has 40 blogs and Technorati lists all 40 of them in the top 50 written by scientists, that's 80% of the information the public can easily access.

My point remains that we have to be explain to prove things to Americans in a way that other countries' populations don't require - and we have to give opposing arguments a fair shake. Something not being done.

On point 2, just taking from the rich to give to the poor is causing the runaway inflation and deflation I mentioned. I quote the definitive scientific study done in the movie "Barbershop" when reparations for slavery are discussed and Eddie says, "Respirations ain't gonna do nothing except make Cadillac the number one dealership in the country."

This is the same today as it was in medieval economies. An influx of money has a negligible inpact on quality of life. The only thing that has a dramatic difference on income is death; the highest increase in real wages for common workers in world history happened after the Black Plague - because you had more money for workers and fewer workers to buy things.

liketothelark said...

At the moment I have shutters, so the windows are open to allow the breeze. During the day they're closed to keep out the sun...necessary in Crete.

I'm definitely a fan of curtains open as much as possible. When I had a flat (translation: apartment) on the fourth floor with minimal overlooking. I like to see the stars!

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室