Friday, August 04, 2006

book meme

I've written 746 words since last I blogged - hopefully some of them will stay in the final draft.

I've been tagged by Shellie to do the book meme that's been going around. But just so you are warned, there's no way I'll limit my answers to just one book per question. Oh, and I suppose I have previously mentioned that I really like children's literature?

1. One book that changed your life?
This is a hard one to start with..."Anne of Green Gables" forever changed my favorite color. A couple of classic -ology textbooks strongly influenced where I ended up going to college (nerdy, I know), and where I went to college has strongly influenced what's happened since then.

2. One book that you have read more than once?
I've read a lot of books twice. If I liked the book on first reading, but felt like I was too wrapped up in the plot to appreciate the details, I will wait a year or ten and then read the book more slowly, savoring the dialogue, humor, foreshadowing, etc. A couple of books that I know I've read at least three or four times are "The Westing Game" and "Snow Treasure." The Westing Game is a mystery written for young adults, but with a complex plot, a full range of adult characters, and lots of puzzling details. Snow Treasure tells the true story of Norwegian children who sled Norway's gold right out from under the watchful eyes of the Nazi occupiers. Both of these are books that my mom read as a kid, and now both she and I revisit them every couple of years.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?
"An Island to Oneself: Six years on a desert island" Amazon is so handy sometimes.

4. One book that made you laugh?
Many of your blogs make me laugh. (Dr. J over at Alien Ted accomplished that this morning.) I'm also a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes, and collected into their treasuries, I think they count as books. I know other books have made me laugh out loud, but I can't think of them right now.

5. One book that made you cry?
Right now just listening to news makes me cry. Last night, I was at an outdoor concert and all the little kids just dancing in front of the stage made me tear up. But, you asked about books. The most recent book that made me cry was Pine Island Paradox, but again I think that was the hormones. (It also made me laugh.) I cry really easily, even when not in hormone-overdrive, so I'm sure a large number of other books have caused me to wipe away tears as well.

6. One book you wish had been written?
There are maps I wish had been published...again, not really books. How about "The complete practical manual for ending discrimination?"

7. One book you wish had never been written?
There are books that I think have done great disservice to people and places. Not only do they seem to be a waste of trees but they also seem to actually cause harm. Two in this category: Godless by Ann Coulter and 1000 places to see before you die (and its ilk). I don't object to travel guides, but someplaces are special because they are off the beaten path. And encouraging every Dick, Jane, and Spot to go see them kind of diminishes their beauty in my mind.

8. One book you are currently reading?
I finished Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass last Sunday (His Dark Materials book 1), and once I get my current paper done, I'll dive into The Subtle Knife (book 2). See, I pay attention to reader requests!

9. One book you have been meaning to read?
The Monkey Wrench Gang. Baby Bargains. I've been meaning to finish Reading Lolita in Tehran.

10. Tag 5 people to do the meme!
I haven't been paying attention to who has already done it, so ignore me if this is a repeated tag. How about some recent commenters I'd like to get to know better: Ceresina, Rose Connors, twf, Holly, and snafu. Everyone else should consider themselves tagged as well (yes, you Writer Chica). Please let me know in the comments if you take up the meme.

9 comments:

Rose Connors said...

I did my homework.

Holly said...

Okay, I'll bite because it's already too late in the afternoon to get anything meaningful done on my dissertation!

Saoirse said...

I read Snow Treasure ages ago. I don't really remember it much, but I remember really loving it. Perhaps I should re-read it soon.

Oh, and I am definitely with you on wanting "The complete practical manual for ending discrimination?"

twf said...

I will do this at some point, though I'm not quite sure when I'll get around to it.

Thanks for tagging me!

Writer Chica said...

I finished it! Whew! Blogging takes a lot longer when I put in those links. It was fun. Hope you enjoy it!

twf said...

I finally got around to doing it.

ceresina said...

Eeek! Tagged Twice! Now I'll really have to do it!

But I was going to say, until my own name overtook my entire thought process, that (a) I'm glad you're reading the Dark Materials trilogy & listening to us commenters and (b) Baby Bargins is not a super bargin -- okay, but not super -- so don't fret (isn't that so much less condescending than worry? No? Hm.) if you don't finish it.

ceresina said...

I answered the meme!

sexy said...

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,按摩棒,跳蛋,充氣娃娃,情境坊歡愉用品,情趣用品,情人節禮物,情惑用品性易購

免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,A片,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

A片,色情,成人,做愛,情色文學,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,視訊聊天室,言情小說,愛情小說,AIO,AV片,A漫,av dvd,聊天室,自拍,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,色情A片,SEX

情趣用品,A片,免費A片,AV女優,美女視訊,情色交友,色情網站,免費AV,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,成人影片,情色網


情趣用品,A片,免費A片,日本A片,A片下載,線上A片,成人電影,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,微風成人區,成人文章,成人影城,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,臺灣情色網,色情,情色電影,色情遊戲,嘟嘟情人色網,麗的色遊戲,情色論壇,色情網站,一葉情貼圖片區,做愛,性愛,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,美女交友,做愛影片

av,情趣用品,a片,成人電影,微風成人,嘟嘟成人網,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

情趣用品.A片,情色,情色貼圖,色情聊天室,情色視訊,情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,色情遊戲,色情網站,聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,視訊聊天室,視訊交友網,免費視訊聊天,免費A片,日本a片,a片下載,線上a片,av女優,av,成人電影,成人,成人貼圖,成人交友,成人圖片,18成人,成人小說,成人圖片區,成人文章,成人影城,成人網站,自拍,尋夢園聊天室