Thursday, July 27, 2006

Women in Science Update

Rice University's ADVANCE program is offering a workshop on "Negotiating the Ideal Faculty Position." For more information, see Zuska's page. The ADVANCE workshops have a repuation for being really great and quite hard to get into (I've been rejected for UMBC's twice.) Maybe this will be my lucky try. My ideal faculty position...now that's a fantasy.

Two other good posts from Zuska to take a look at: Geek Gorgeous versus Sexy Science and Women should boycott Fermilab. I particularly got a smile out of Zuska's (all caps) declaration: "No woman should have to go to work and find jock straps in her mailbox." One possible exception: a female coach of a male athletic team?

Not really women in science, but there is a recent editorial in the Washington Post about being a grad student and a single mom and how graduate education is out of reach of people from low income backgrounds. (Hat tip to Bitch, Ph.D. on this one.) See also the discussion over at Janet's (sometimes I think I should just put a permanent forward over to her page).

Now for some science, but not women. Miss Prism argues that few scientists are bad communicators, we're just incredibly hampered by the constraints put on us by journals. Miss Prism, I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I've seen some really atrocious writing both pre-submission and published that has nothing to do with the conventions of science...it's just bad. (Writer Chica, what do you think?)

Female science professor relays how she and her husband managed the two body problem. If you don't know, the two body problem is the conundrum of a dual-academic couples, sometimes in the same field, sometimes not, that both want to have TT jobs.

Continuing on the personal confessional front, Janet has spent the week relaying the saga of her back-to-back PhDs, telling her advisor she was pregnant, having her elder offspring while dissertating, and looking for jobs with two children in tow. She finishes out the series by musing on the meaning of "a life" (outside of academia).

Outside of the blog world, Australian Females in Information Technology and Telecommunications (FITT) has 800 members working to promote awareness of women in IT, and to encourage more women into the field and more girls to continue their maths studies.

Finally, I thought I could profile one female science blogger each issue of the update: This week's profilee: Nuthatch at Bootstrap Analysis. Nuthatch is an urban ecologist and birder in the Detroit area. She's blogged about urban prairies, where whole blocks of houses disappear and grasses return. She also has an (ir)regular Sunday times feature, where she highlights recent scientific findings and gives her readers some extra context. Other regular topics include birds, indoor cats, gardening organically, and an occasional book review or meme.

Got any suggestions for the next women in science update? Send them my way.

7 comments:

Nuthatch said...

Thanks, Woman. And congrats on your paper. My first biggie is sitting, with its many comments, in a pile on my office floor. The problem with doing field work is...not having enough large chunks of time to write it up. I do have time to post nice pictures of my cats. Heavy sigh.

snafu said...

I find myself reading your blog everyday, thus I have added it to my favorite blogs on my site!

Keep up the great work!

Laura said...

BEAUTIFULLL BLOG!!! I'm from Argentina and I´m 24 years old.

G said...

I'm 30. I'm spanish and like you I'm working on my Ph. D. I'm married and I'd like to have a baby but I have to finish my research first. The problem is that I spend 4 months a year in Holland, Oxford and Egypt...and my husband in Spain. I'm trying to survive to the distance and to the pressure in my work. This is a competitive world.

I'm sorry, my English is very bad...

Writer Chica said...

I read Miss Prism's post. Very interesting. Yeah, there are lots of constraints on science writing, but I think the bigger problem is that writing just isn't much of a focus in science programs, though it should be. As an editor of ESL science articles, I've seen some very badly written papers, but that's why I get them. But some of them aren't as bad as some native English speaker's papers I have seen.

Dorid Lovely said...

Wow, am glad I found your blog! have done a lot of reading here, and loved this entry and the links. So disgusted to hear that women in sciences are still having the problems I faced coming into the field over thirty years ago, but not terribly surprised. My daughter is working on her MA in Bio now and says the PhDs act like she isn't in the room half the time at seminars... reminds me of the 70's when my physics prof told me to "go home, get married, and bake brownies like a good girl"

pft! as if!

keem said...

Not that this matters at all in your life, but I have to say it anyways. You are my Favorite . congrats on your paper..SAVE AMBLAE CLICK HERE