Saturday, July 15, 2006

getting ready to teach

Much of last week was spent gearing up for the coming week, when S and I spend 4 days teaching MS/HS teachers about -ology. We did this last summer, too Last year, it was super stressful, because we had some interpersonal issues with one of the PIs, had no idea what inquiry learning was all about, and oh, yeah, it was my first time teaching. This year, we put some new ground rules in place (S takes the heat (which has been mild) and I stay out of the line of fire), revamped some of the activities, and know what to expect. And I've spent signficantly more time in front of a classroom. But not much in the past 6+ months.

Despite the changes, it has taken more time than I had hoped to prepare for the session and the next few days promise to be very busy. I'm looking forward to interacting with the students, seeing how the new activities go, and giving others a second run through. Hopefully I can get some dissertation work done in the evenings too, but even if not, at least I'm getting $900 for less than 2 weeks work, including prep. And since it's not like I can take vacation/sick leave (does any grad student get this?), I'm basically being paid double. Which is very nice given that I won't have a paycheck between Aug 1 and Nov 1. But of course this isn't about the money, or about the CV line, it's about the experience, and hopefully teaching teachers the material in such a way that they can be excited about it and share that excitement with their students. Then we all win.

5 comments:

Propter Doc said...

I really love doing that kind of thing. We did a lot during our PhDs with school children from 8 - 18 and it was just wonderful. I'll never forget the wee boy who turned around one session and told me he wished I was his chemistry teacher because I was 'cool'! I do love teaching, sadly they don't let me loose on the pharmacists.
I hope you find some time for yourself as well in all this?

Writer Chica said...

Happy Teaching!

Ancient Clown said...

As I too am not here to teach students but to study teachers, I invite your scientific mind to explore and test 'Ancient's History' to your hearts content.
"I don't think I know...I just know I'm thinking."
your humble servant,
Ancient Clown

Heather said...

I'm really excited that you're teaching the true inquiry method. I always hated science growing up, and - quite honestly - I'm still not very keen on it now, and I know that is true, to a degree, because of the do-this-to-get-that-specific-result labs that we did. Science was either pure memorization (biology) or a lot of math (chemistry), and at no point did it come alive for me.

Wish I'd had teachers like you back in the day.

Zoey said...

I love how you can teach all that stuff! I am going into 9th grade and I love science! (Well, at least I love life science!) I got all A's last year and my mom says I should be a scientist!

*Zoey