Saturday, April 22, 2006

Earth Day PNW style

It's a beautiful sunny warm day outside - the perfect day to celebrate Earth Day. Earth Day, to me, is about honoring our responsibility to the Earth's human and non-human inhabitants and natural systems, past , present and future. This year, I'm not celebrating Earth Day in any organized fashion. But I am celebrating in my own independent way. Let's call it PNW style.

After doing some online calculators at myfootprint.org and stopglobalwarming.org (join the virtual march), I decided I really needed to do something big about my resource use.
So, I just finished offsetting my and Business Man's carbon emissions by making a $150 donation to carbonfund.org. I took some time to use their calculator and estimate our emissions (cars, miles, electricity, natural gas) based on our (paper-less) bill histories.

Later this afternoon, I will swing by S's house and pick through the leftovers from the Naked Ladies clothing swap that I missed this week. Anything that isn't claimed will go to Goodwill. Then I will head over to our wonderful local cooperative grocery (I'm a member) and buy some bulk foods, organic produce, and local milk and yogurt in reusable containers. Then Princess Pup and I are going for a hike and rejoice in the wonders of springtime in the woods. This evening Business Man and I will cook dinner, composting the remains. Then I'll do some laundry in our energy efficient washer and hang most of the clothes to dry.

I have mixed feelings about my environmental responsibility score-card. Sometimes when I go to other people's houses (not yours, Chica) I feel very virtuous when I see the amount of waste. But then I think about what I could, relatively easily, do better. I could take shorter showers, bike or bus to school, and stop printing out journal articles to read. I try to remind myself that no one is perfect and that the work I do is pretty applied to natural resource issues. But on Earth Day, I find myself wondering whether I should be celebrating or pushing hard towards change. I think a bit of both are in order for me, and I know the world needs to join me.

8 comments:

glenda said...

Happy Earth Day!
Thanks for the links.

Katie said...

Look how pretty you are! This is what I miss when I read on bloglines! I love the new header - it's quite lovely.

And this was a good reminder that though I try (really, I do!), I could do a lot better by the environment. So thank you for that.

Writer Chica said...

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the day. I saved gas by carpooling to the MOA. I'm reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves and loving it! Thank you!

Katie said...

Nice to see people caring about Earth Day! No need to keep a score card!

turtlebella said...

I find it really hard to not print out journal articles. Something about having started out that way when I was a baby journal reader. And then I make all kinds of notes on the papers themselves... Happy (belated) Earth Day, but well, every day an earth day, yes?

Lisa said...

I clicked on one of your links, and apparantly the only thing that saves me from being a full-fledged eco-terrorist is my vegetarianism. Gulp. There's an interesting piece in Vanity Fair this month about dear old Momma Earth...

ScienceWoman said...

Lisa - I'd be interested to know which link you clicked on. I found myfootprint to be pretty scary...

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa