Thursday, March 30, 2006

What spring break?

One of the unfortunate side-effects of being ABD is that I no longer feel deserving of treating myself to time off during that week when all of the undergraduates disappear. In the years of doing my PhD, I've never gone anywhere for break, but often I would not work (or work at home) for most of the week. This week, however, I've intended to work hard and produce a lot, free from the distractions of most emails, meetings, and seminars. But apparently I was destined to get some time off each day.

Monday, I had coffee with ChemGuy. We do this ~once a week anyway, but this week was the first time it was nice enough to sit outside. Tuesday, S and I walked downtown for a very belated birthday lunch. Wednesday, NewGirl and I had our REI adventure for most of the afternoon. Tonight, NewGirl, S, and I are watching an old Pride and Prejudice mini-series (though we might not make it through six hours). Plus, this morning S and I rearranged our office and my cubicle suddenly feels a whole lot bigger. Actually, it is 18" longer but 4" narrower. I have no idea what tomorrow has in store for me, but I am sure there will be some pleasant distraction from work. It must be spring...

4 comments:

yami mcmoots said...

Y'know, hearing that you've taken leisurely spring breaks just knocked my growing guilt complex down to size - thanks! My good intentions have been shot to hell this week and I've not accomplished much other than journal reading. And house-hunting, which takes up a surprising amount of energy. But yes - hooray for spring!

ScienceWoman said...

Glad my unproductive breaks are a consolation to someone!

PhD Mom said...

Ohmygosh. I love the Pride and Prejudice miniseries. Maybe I should take a break...

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa