Saturday, February 04, 2006

The monster at the end of this post*

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM PST THIS EVENING...
.SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON.VERY WINDY. SNOW LEVEL LOWERING TO 2000 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. SNOW ACCUMULATION UP TO 12 INCHES. PASS WINDS SOUTHWEST 25 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 60 MPH.


And that's why I am posting right now rather than doing field work as planned. You see all my field sites are above 2000 feet and that sort of weather makes for really miserable work conditions. So I am going to put my trip to the mountains off for another few days when the forecast calls for sunny weather and a free air freezing level of 12,000 feet. (of course, on Thursday I put off field work until today because it was supposed to be nice today, too).

I have lately been imbued with a sense of urgency about getting things done on my thesis and assorted other projects, so I am in my office crunching numbers. I've been feeling some internal pressure to step up my effort all week, and I actually made some progress. Today, in particular, has been very productive. I've been here about 4 hours and I've gotten a bunch of analyses done. And I'll work another hour or two before calling it a day. Because I've got a lot to get done in the next month.

Before I go on my first campus interview.

(*Anyone else remember the Sesame Street book with similar title?)

3 comments:

Lucy said...

that was a very cute book :) I'm glad you had a good day despite the snow

Abel PharmBoy said...

It IS currently in heavy rotation among my 3-year-old girl's reading list - she loves it and likes to make Grover upset everytime we turn the page. I love my daughter dearly, but it started getting old around the 100th reading! Good luck dealing with the challenging weather.

jo(e) said...

I loved that book! I had to read it over and over again to my kids.