Tuesday, January 24, 2006

where I been at

My goals for this week:
  1. finish last job application
  2. do a bunch of thesis research data analysis
  3. do a bunch of grant-on-the side data analysis
  4. edit book section (consulting work)
  5. read several papers for thesis research
What I've gotten done so far:
  1. given seminar for research group on one of the techniques I've used
  2. given guest lecture for one of the people writing all of those recommendations for me
  3. gone to gym
  4. looked at 1st data with undergrad thesis student
  5. struggled with exporting data into a format readable by ug thesis student (2 hours!)
  6. perused web site of last job app
Notice that I've not done any of the things on my to-do list. Of course, all of the things I've been doing are defensible even beneficial activities for a PhD candidate. But once again I find myself in the trap of not making any progress towards defending. I have faith that in the next three days I will manage to get something thesis-related done. For now however, I am going to go home and continue frantically working on the baby blanket for one of my dear readers. (I'll let you know who after she announces it).

1 comment:

post-doc said...

I often have days where it feels like I worked constantly then return home to realize that I made no progress on my list of important tasks to accomplish.

It sounds like you're doing great, and you seem happy. That's really nice.