Thursday, November 03, 2005

Worst jobs in science

Volcanogirl sent Popular Science's Worst Jobs in Science to me and noted that the #6 worst job in science is volcanologist, presumably because of its high death rate. As a consolation, at least I can say that she's not a #3 (kansas school teacher).

On a related note, S just pointed me to the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I should also note that my profession does not appear on the worst jobs in science list. At the moment I am ensconced at one of the West's grand lodges overlooking a spectacular view and eating (once again) too well and too much. All for a $60 registration and $80 hotel room. One of the major perks of being a student is cheap conference registrations.

3 comments:

she falters to rise said...

I definitely wouldn't suggest being a human lab rat--it can be very unpleasant.

I've always thought that the people who have to check the female rats to see if they've been "plugged" yet have a crappy job. I understand it's important to know the exact day on which a rat gets knocked up, but couldn't they train robots to do that or something?

Kyle said...

My job isn't in the top 10 either, but some days it feels like i'm shoveling enough crap to be considered a Manure Expector - which of course was #2 in the list...

volcano girl said...

Really, being a volcanologist is the coolest job ever. It is no where near cleaning semen or shucking manure. And apart from free falling off 20+ foot cliffs a couple times, I've never come close to being hit by flying magma!