Thursday, November 03, 2005

tidbits

is the name of one my past field sites and also the unifying theme of today's post.

My word of the day is "ensconced": Having spent last night comfortably ensconced in the comfortable and picturesque conference hotel, the graduate student prepared herself for a long evening ensconced in her home office, sitting on a folding chair at a once discarded desk, frantically analyzing data and making pretty powerpoint slides for tomorrow's talk.

My normal laptop is back under my fingers after 33 days since those fateful raindrops hit its keyboard. Consider the lesson very well learned.

The single most useful and (unfortunately) most remarkable part of the conference: The 5 hours of 1 on 1 time spent with my advisor in the car on the way to and fro. We talked postdocs and job apps, research and politics, what it means to be educated and the philosophy of beauty. Thank you, advisor, for a supremely useful and enjoyable car ride. Thank you, powers that be, for arranging it such that we were both on the same schedule for once.

2 comments:

she falters to rise said...

Ensconced is a good one!

Anonymous said...

Tee-hee. Anne, I was going to comment that your "word of the day" reminds me of the "she falters to rise" blog, but I see that "she" got here first. Lee