Tuesday, November 29, 2005

job search advice

As much as I desperately want to write for my blog, I need to keep working on these darn excel graphs. So instead I give you a sampling of recent thoughts and advice on the job search: After dispensing some job search advice, Mon proves its worth by announcing her hire. Congratulations, Mon. YoungFemaleScientist is musing on the roles of aggressiveness, patience and innovation play in determining your job outcome.  Out of the archives of Dr. Crazy, advice on how to make a search committee hate you. Dean Dad and commenters are discussing a hypothetical, "who would you hire?"

I've got a few more questions though:
I'm getting the feeling that if I don't get asked for letters of recc. within a few weeks of the search closing, that I didn't make the first cut. True?
Should I apply for a job that in a place and/or at a school that I can only see myself being happy at for a few years, not a lifetime?

Actually, I have a lot more questions, but my brain is frazzled right now.  Keep the good advice coming...

3 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

some more from my co-advisor:
1. don't feel like you can't have your cake and eat it too. There are people who have been offered a job, accepted the offer but deferred their start date for a year so that they can do a postdoc.
2. think about what you'd want for startup funds before the interview. The department chair will try to suss that out during their meeting with you.

Dr. Mon said...

Thanks for the shout-out! Sounds like are disciplines are very differnt--we have to send letters of rec upfront.

As far as your second question, I got a lot of advice that indicated many academics go into their first job with only a couple of years in mind and not as the lifetime job. I think you have to go with what's good for your personality and your own career goals.

I'm curious to hear what seasoned academics think on this one....

Anonymous said...

job search com

Here's some useful info on job search job
which you might be looking for. The url is: http://www.jaldisearch.com/