Friday, November 25, 2005

feasting

(In the bustle of yesterday's cooking, cleaning, eating, and napping, I didn't get to the computer much. So in short order today, I promise to have three seasonally-appropriate posts. This is 2 of 3, see also the previous post)

I arrived in the kitchen yesterday morning at 8 am. Dinner was at 6:30 pm. In the intervening 10.5 hours I was never far from the kitchen, and I loved it. Here's what we made and ate and ate

Husband: turkey with stuffing, more stuffing, mashed potatos, crescent rolls
Me: pumpkin pie, squash, wild rice, green salad, fruit salad
Cousins: pecan pie (they have a 5 month old, so they're excused)
The liquor store: pinot gris and port

So we had 4 for dinner and food for 12. Just the way it should be. And afterward, we sat in the living room, drank port, and told stories. And then we each ate 2 slices of pie with ice cream and whipped cream. And then we went to bed. I will confess, that I didn't sleep particularly well. I had a stomach ache, but I think that was in large part due to all the port.

But the best part of the dinner, was the abundance of local and/or organic food. It made the feasting less guilty feeling. We had a natural, free-range turkey from a local farmer. The squash, potatoes, onions, green onions, carrots, and apples were all from a local organic farm. The pumpkin was grown in a backyard down the street. Some of the tomatoes were from our garden. The wild rice was organic. Sure, the crescent rolls were straight from the pillsbury laboratory and the pie crust, well, that was too. But we did better than we ever have before. And the food tasted even better for it.

I hope your meals were just as tasy.

No comments: