Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The epidemiology of colds

Feeling good, back at work, getting lots of sleep, moving slowly, and coughing a nice deep chesty cough. That's me. But my subject today is the geography of the onset of the cold season. When I went into Rite-Aid the other day, there was a crowd in the cough and cold aisle, with literally a dozen sick-looking people pondering the dozens of choices for soothing their symptons. Should they take Sudafed PE Nasal Congestion, Sudafed PE Sinus Headache, Robitussin, Dayquil, Nyquil....(my picks so far) And in my office building, I periodically hear the echoing ring of coughs in the hallway.

But I have also noticed that my blogroll has a stuffy nose, sinus headache, and a cough. A partial list of sufferers includes abd me and Astroprof. Some of you may blame the academic season, but how do you explain those of us who are not actively teaching or in classes and actually interact with a very few people on a day to day basis. Even more perplexing, how do you explain friends like Writer Chica and Annie, both of whom are stay-at-home moms. My theory: colds are spreading through the internet. They're viruses!

3 comments:

Astroprof said...

Maybe the stay-at-home moms got colds from kids that got colds at school? Or, you might be right. Colds are really created by virus writers and they are spread on the internet. Hmm. Shouldn't my McAfee AV stop that?

In related news, I don't feel so bad now, but recently I am coughing far more and can't talk for long. Annoying. Especially, since that makes lectures interesting.

Hmm. More chicken soup.

Annie said...

Just because I'm not a 9-to-5-er doesn't mean I don't go jumping around in the germ equivalent of a Chuck E Cheese ball pit: it's either the playgroup or our friends' kids.

And remember, I AM a doctor's wife, also known as She Who Sleeps With He Who is Constantly Exposed to Random Illness. I'm totally better, though, so it's all good.

phd me said...

Does that mean I can boycott my computer and sit on the sofa surrounded by dozens of books? Oh wait, that's what I've been doing.

Woke up perky today and down to slight sniffles - let's call it cured, especially since I'm conference-bound tomorrow. Whooo!