Monday, November 21, 2005

the anti-saturday

Sunday was a day of rest, sort of. Well, it was definitely a day of no work. I cleaned some, watched football while folding laundry, took the dog and the husband for a nice long walk, took a nap, and went to a concert. I did not crack open a single journal article or read a single email. And it was nice, once I realized that I really wasn't going to make it back into my office.

WriterChica asked for a review of the new Harry Potter. The movie was a disappointment compared to the book. Granted the book was extraordinarily long, and the movie was only 2.5 hours (including previews), but more than any other HP adaptation this one really felt like lots was left out. No veela or leprechauns, no Percy or Ludo Bagman, and no fog or spiders in the maze. And yet, the director felt it was a good idea to add a totally invented, protracted dragon flying scene. There were more obvious breaks in the action for a humourous episodes. Of course, the whole Yule Ball saga is pretty funny, and does merit a fair amount of attention in the book. But I'd say that the best part of the movie was the glacial landscape around Hogwarts and the ever evolving architecture of the school. At this point the school is very definitely in Scotland, and the director added some nice rocky crags, U shaped profiles, and rocky crags. And Gryffindower was a wonder of architectural improbability. I'll be interested to know what Hedwig thought of the movie, I know she was off to count the birds. How about the rest of you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree about the movie, they got the big stuff right but left out all the interesting details! Although it was entertaining and they did pull some good one liners right out of the book.