Wednesday, August 17, 2005

a few good books

To make up for a month or more of being too busy and too stressed to read, I devoured 2 books in the past week. Neither of them were ones that I reccommend finishing at midnight. But both of them were intense and riveting and well-written. And yet they were very different from each other...

What were they? The Lovely Bones by Alice Siebold and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. I don't want to be a spoiler for any of you who haven't read them, but I would like to say that I enjoyed HP 6 much more than HP 5, although my favorite is still HP 3. I think I just really liked the Marauder's Map, Lupin, and the big black dog. And Chica, your book will be in the mail as soon as I get a chance. Unscratched but deeply appreciated.

Next on my list? Well, really I should plug away at some journal articles for that paper I'm meant to be writing, but I still have a few other things on my summer reading list. Writer Chica sent me a copy of High Country by Nevada Barr, and I've heard good things about Bangkok 8, Kite Runner, and Reading Lolita in Tehran. Anybody read any of them? Any recommendations for other titles to add to my list?

4 comments:

Writer Chica said...

Glad you liked The Lovely Bones. I'll call you soon cause I'm interested to hear what you think of the last quarter of the book.

I recently finished reading A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson and The Devil's Teeth by Susan Casey. Both fast, enjoyable, and educational. Woods is about him walking the Appalacian Trial and Teeth is about the Farallon Islands outside San Francisco and the sharks and researchers there. Really loved them both.

ScienceWoman said...

Read High Country yesterday. Gripping, and an easy read. Just what I was in the mood for. Felt bad about leaving lots of stuff un-done on my to-do list (and about those 3 bowls of ice-cream), but I really needed the downtime.

Rose Connors said...

A favorite book of mine is Woman by Natalie Angier. Gloria Steinem calls it "liberation biology". Maybe for after your thesis is done.:)

RC

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.