Tuesday, August 30, 2005

feeling isolated (and cold)

My office is freezing - I'm on my second 16oz mug of tea, trying to stay warm. But worse, my office is empty. S is on vacation, the woman in the cubicle next to me is AWOL, the other grad student moved to Olympia, my undergrad is in the field, there are no visitors and my advisor is also AWOL, even from email. And this building is the least social place I've ever worked. There is absolutely nobody for me to talk to right now and all I am confronted with is the blank glare of a paper waiting to be written. I've browsed all my normal internet blogs and news sites at least three times today. I've even (gasp!) worked on the paper.

A lot of grad students in cubicle farms or overcrowded offices would kill for this sort of quiet, isolation, but I'm not doing well in it. I want to talk to my advisor about possible abstracts (deadline next week for the big meeting of the year). I want S to provide some small distraction from the overbearing, omnipresent need to work on the paper.

Sometimes I feel like I just don't know what I'm doing. I've never really written a journal article before, and I think what I could really use is some reassurance that I'm doing OK. But a crash course in paper writing (topped with liberal reassurance) would be even better.

Can't even go home, where it's probably warmer. Husband's car is in the shop, he's in Salem, and biking in this morning made me sick for some reason. Not trying that bike again for a couple of days.

No comments: