Friday, June 17, 2005

lesson planning sucks!

I think this is going to be a recurring theme this summer. For the past 8 hours I have been trying to plan a two hour lesson for my teachers, and I am nowhere near done. The idea of this teacher workshop is that it all has to be inquiry based learning, which means that in 5 hours of teaching per day, I can only have about 45 minutes of me just getting up in front of the blackboard and imparting wisdom. Not that writing lectures is easy but it's a lot more straightforward than trying to come up with hands-on projects. I have been trying to find the appropriate time-series data sets so the teachers can do this project, and it is a royal pain in the ass. And then, once I get the data, I or someone else will have to make the appropriate graphs for the teachers, because many of them don't know how to use excel. Bah humbug.

At least it's friday. But then again, I am planning to work most of the weekend since my husband is gone. So it's not really much consolation that it is Friday. At least it's raining. That I way I don't mind being indoors in a windowless office!

1 comment:

Joseph said...

I feel you. Seriously F* lesson planning. Before I started teaching I was a shy little boy afraid to get up in front a room. By my second class I already over that completely, but my ever-present dread of lesson planning has yet to subside.