Monday, June 06, 2005

cold feet

So a group of professors and grad students (including me) was supposed to be going to the Cascades for a two-day field trip/retreat leaving tomorrow morning. But the forecast is for rain and snow, and so instead they decided to just go to a nice restaurant for dinner tomorrow night. I'm disappointed because the trip was supposed to be the culmination of a quarter's worth of reading and thinking about the science of the area. But, truthfully, we never really got energized on the reading and thinking end of things, so the trip was going to be a combo of some hikes (and arm waving) and a party at a cabin. But that almost makes the cancellation worse. Instead of finishing the year by re-energizing our group, we are finishing with a whimper. What will happen next year?

I wasn't part of the decision to cancel, because I was actually in the field today. The average temperature couldn't have been more than 40, and there were alternating periods of sunshine, rain, snow, and hail. The dog got so cold I had to blast the heat at her in the car on the way home. So, while I am disappointed in the decision, I am actually thankful that tomorrow night, rather than being in a tent with a wet dog, I will be in my own bed (and maybe even with my husband). And instead of two days in the field, I will actually be getting work done at the office. And there is no shortage of work to do. And, maybe I can use the change of plans as an excuse to sneak off early one day and work on the next round of baby blankets (she had better not be early). And maybe this will really get jonesing for camping this weekend (just have to convince the dh). I guess all is well that ends well.

Stay warm and dry.

No comments: